SESSION 1: Weds 13th June set up A2 blog; look at DB vid analysis examples; pick 10 initial vids to blog on
SESSION 2: Review blogging on 10 vids (min. 1 in detail, min. 1 clear point on each, + summary organised by themes with clear examples for each); opportunity to discuss early ideas
FOR SEPTEMBER: Initial summary of general music video conventions, based on 20+ examples, min. 2 detailed analyses and 1+ specific point/e.g. from each. Any additional preparatory work on a pitch would be highly beneficial.
(1) Set up blog, changing comment moderation/verification and widths, using a Simple template (further customise after the session).
(2) Post 1: Hopes for this blog
- what are your hopes/aims for this year?
- what skills do what you hope to develop?
- have you any early thoughts on genres or visual ideas/narrative themes you might to look at for your idea?
(3) Music video variety, and finding examples: use this post/vodcast for an immediate sense of the variety in media language of videos, and preview some of the forms/themes of analysis you could do.
(4) look further at the style + content of video analysis posts; preview the examples below. 2 basic approaches that can work for single video analysis posts or multiple video analysis posts:
- neat formatting at the top of the post with some basic details (often hyperlinked): careful use of size, font, spacing and image positioning
- SUMMARY! completed after initial analysis
- 1 approach is to caption screenshots with specific detail, making clear the point (EX with denotation, but also clear EAA)
- another is to make notes, identify themes from these and summarise the point/examples under each theme heading
Goodwin by himself isn't enough to cover conventions, but is a great starting point:
(6) Create a playlist of 10 vids from multiple genres and time periods, including at least 1 from this post. 1+ detailed video analysis and at least 1 point from the rest of your 10 for session 2 to discuss and review.